Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Hallingdans!

I have strange tastes and I'll be the first to admit it. There are lots of things I enjoy that most would consider mildly annoying, hokey, or just plain odd.

Bagpipes? Love em.

Joiking? Traditional or modern, I'm all about it.

Now, I have discovered something else that I like and will probably get some ribbing for: Norwegian hallingdans. I've always been interested in the folk-dances of different countries (maybe because I have two left feet and am enamored with how some people can be so coordinated), and I find hallingdans to be a lot of fun to watch. With the fluidity of movement, the constant, the apparent Slavic influence in some of the foot work, the constant movement and inertia as well as the acrobatics, it's aesthetically a very unique dance.

Have any of my readers ever tried hallingdans, or any other Norwegian folk dance? If you have, tell me about your experience. Leave a comment or shoot me an e-mail.

UPDATE: Apparently I'm not the only one who enjoys it. Hallingdans is being woven into a new online RPG, called Age of Conan.

1 comment:

MJ said...

Oh yeah, I love Hallingdans. Of course I've never done it, but I sure have done a lot of other Norwegian folk dances. As for joiking... that just makes me laugh.