Thursday, March 11, 2010

Name Days: New Old Traditions

By now I'm sure everyone has had a chance to devour the March issue of Viking magazine, right? Personally I think this issue is a real champ, with its features on Norwegian businesses making their own mark in America and the great article about Nynorsk by Colin Thomsen. Two very different topics, to be sure, but that's always been part of the allure of Viking magazine--the variety of subject matter it offers readers every month. At least that's my take on it.

Anyhow, my favorite part of this month's issue was the cover story on Name Days (and not just because I was lucky enough to try the cupcakes and cookies featured on the cover). Up until the story idea was first mentioned by our editor, I'd never heard of "name days" or the idea behind them. Now I think it's an awesome idea and possibly a new tradition around the Evans household. You see my son's birthday is very close to Christmas and I worry that as he gets older his birthday may get lost in the chaos of the season. But, by making his name day a tradition, we can celebrate in May.

I'd love to hear from anyone else who celebrates name days within their family. If you do, leave a comment!

No comments: