Saturday, November 29, 2008

Getting to Know…District 4 International Director Elaine Nelson

Back from a great Thanksgiving we've got a great new profile of the International Director from District 4, Elaine Nelson, who has almost forty years of committed membership under her belt. After joining when she was just 19, Elaine has seen the organization change and grow. Read on to see what’s kept her involved all these years!

Q: What was your proudest moment in Sons of Norway?

A: I would have to say, when I made a presentation to a member where there had been a tornado. I was proud to be an international director and was proud of our Helping Hands to Members grants. I was proud that Sons of Norway does that for our members.


Q: How long have you held a Sons of Norway financial product?

A: Since the convention in Philadelphia. I was a delegate and I needed insurance.

Q: Why do you think it’s important to have one?

A: I feel it’s one of the benefits we have of being a Sons of Norway member, and it’s a quality product.

Q: What other positions have you held in Sons of Norway?

A: I came on the district board as district treasurer. I had four years as district counselor, four years as district vice president and four years as district president. I’ve also held positions in my local lodge. I haven’t been secretary and that’s a good position…

Q: What prompted you to join Sons of Norway at such a young age?

A: My parents and I joined 4-087 when our district was having a reorganization of lodges. We joined because of our Norwegian heritage. I didn’t become too active till 1983. My parents and I took our first trip to Norway to visit relatives. I saw the beautiful scenery and my connection to Norway and I came back and became lodge president.


Q: Throughout the years, what has Sons of Norway done to continually engage you?

A: The fraternal friendship from lodges in Canada, Norway and the United States; the heritage; I love the Viking magazine; the web site. We’ve had a lot of great changes. It’s a great organization.


Q: Why is recruitment so important to you?

A: I guess if you like an organization you belong to, you like to tell people the story of Sons of Norway. There’s a lot of people that don’t know about Sons of Norway, and we like to tell of our benefits and how it was started. People can join of all ages. One of the things that I think has really helped in the past few years is the family membership.


Q: What’s your favorite Norwegian food?

A: Oh boy, that’s a tough one. Probably lefse and krumkake.
Q: How do you eat your lefse?

A: Just sugar and butter.


Q: Where in Norway would you like to yet visit? Why?

A: Grimstad, Norway. I have a penpal there. I’ve met her, but I’ve never been to her city.

No comments: