Here are 5 "Tips for the Trail" from the article:
- Always start with a non-cotton base layer.
- Don't let yourself overheat when outdoors. Peel off or add layers as needed to regulate your temperature.
- Consider bringing extra dry clothes to wear after strenuous activity.
- Be prepared and flexible, instead of being underdressed and exposed to risks brought on by changing weather conditions.
- Drink plenty of fluids when you are outdoors, since dehydration reduces the body's ability to stay warm.
Amy Boxrud is editor of Viking magazine. She lives with her family in Northfield, Minn., where she’s a member of Nordmarka 1-585.