Monday, March 16, 2009

New addition to the creative team

For those of you who didn't see the news release, there's a new face in the Sons of Norway creative team. We've FINALLY hired a Graphic Design and Communications Assistant and it couldn't have come at a better time. Her name is Melissa Ederer, but you can call her "New Kid" like everyone else at the office does.

Now, since we are like one big happy family, I thought it would be a good idea to introduce Melissa to the members and everyone else on teh webs. Here goes!

Where did you work before joining Sons of Norway?
I worked in Madison, WI for a creative consulting firm called Timpano Group. I worked alongside business consultants as the in-house graphic designer. Primarily my job duties included everything from client meetings and branding sessions to designing promotional materials; and on rare occasions, event planning.

Who were some of your past clients/accounts?
My prior client work varied quite a bit. Some of the main clients I have worked with are Madison Community Foundation, Wisconsin Nonprofits Association, the Benedictine Women of Madison, and Forward Community Investments. A favorite client of mine was King of Hearts Video Productions, a startup wedding videography company.

What is your educational background?
I have a Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree with graphic design emphasis from University of Wisconsin – Stevens Point.

Where are you from originally?
I grew up in a rural area of southwestern Wisconsin located around Prairie Du Sac.

So far what do you like best about working for Sons of Norway?
So far I am most impressed with the family-like atmosphere at Sons of Norway. For a company with many employees all working in various departments there is a strong sense of not only collectiveness but humor as well. The staff genuinely seems happy, and that is always a positive atmosphere to be in.

What do you most look forward to in working at Sons of Norway?
Learning. I’m a Scottish German masquerading as a Norwegian at the moment. There is a lot to learn about the traditions and heritage. The most exposure I’ve had up until working for SoN is Betty White’s Scandinavian character on The Golden Girls, while funny, it is not altogether overly informative.

What do you like best about Graphic Design?
For me, graphic design is a fantastic opportunity for a creative outlet. I had always been a very art-centered person whether it was painting or photography or even performing arts. Graphic design provides me with a place to focus all of my interests into one career. It also allows me to focus on concepts and language and their translation into a visual product.

All esoteric and ambiguous speaking aside, I get to do something that I really enjoy, and hopefully something that at the end of the day just looks cool.

Hobbies?
My hobbies include anything art or music related. In the summer months I generally spend as much time as I can at the family lake house, so if sitting in the hammock or riding in the ski boat is a hobby than I am quite skilled.

Do you have any hidden talents that will be handy at Sons of Norway?
Hidden talents? Nope not a one, or at least none that I will admit to. How about retaining useless information? Right now the most useless bit of information that I can think of is the entire jingle for the “Free Credit Report.Com” commercial in the pirate themed restaurant.

Describe your sense of humor.
My sense of humor is mostly due to the fact that I grew up in a large family and was picked on a lot by my older siblings. As a result I had to learn how to “dish it back,” that means that I might be a little sarcastic at times or an occasional user of one-liners.

Foreign languages spoken? (klingon, bacce, and "L337" do not count)
Unfortunately, I don’t speak any foreign languages fluently, however I might come up with a random phrase in Spanish now and again.

Who would win in a fight: Darth Vader and Superman? Please explain why.
Darth Vader or Superman? Well I would have to go Superman just because I am a horrible Star Wars fan and aside from the whole booming voice and scary helmet thing I don’t know much about Darth Vader or his fighting skills. Besides, Superman has laser vision he doesn’t need a Light saber.

If you were a super hero, what would your name be and what would your special powers be?
If I was a super hero I think I would want to have some sort of special powers to control time and the ability to teleport wherever and whenever I want. [Editor's note--Seriously? You're idea for an awesome superhero is one whose powers are rooted in the ability to...go places? Oookay...I guess we'll have to work on that whole "imagination" thing. It's cool. We've got all summer...sigh.]

So, to recap, we've hired a talented, if somewhat Star Wars challenged, graphic designer who is an admitted cheese-headWisconsinite and Goldern Girls afficionado.

Seriously, though, we're all very excited to welcome her to the team and look forward to working with her.

1 comment:

MJ said...

Melissa seems like a good addition to the crew. Looking forward to meeting her. Oh, and that's a fetching pic of the back of her head. :)