Saturday, March 3, 2012

Viking chats with Susanne Lundeng

Viking recently caught up Susanne Lundeng, a violinist, fiddler and composer who has found her musical path by blending Norwegian folk music with a more contemporary sound. Born in Bergen and raised in the northern city of Bodø, Lundeng has been playing professionally since the age of 20. We couldn't squeeze the whole interview into the March issue of Viking, but you can read the rest of the conversation here:

Viking: How does your Norwegian heritage inspire your music?
Susanne Lundeng: My music is inspired by northern Norway and the type of artists and chorale melodies they have there. So it’s connected in a way. But I also play a lot of traditional stuff, so it’s a mix.

V: How often do you practice?
SL: I practice every day. When I’m traveling, I’m not practicing as much because I travel during the day and play during the evenings. At home I like to get up in the morning and do it. I have two kids, ages 10 and 14, so I get them to school and then I practice.

V: Where did you go to school?
SL: I haven’t studied music. Education for folk musicians didn’t exist when I was young. I only went to school until I was 19.

V: Do you have any albums coming out or tours in the spring?
SL: I will play a little in Russia with some Russian musicians. We try to have projects with Russian people because we share a border with them. I have a trio with two classical musicians, so I will play a mix of folk music and classical showpieces. We call ourselves the Midnight Sun.

V: How often are you traveling during the year?
SL: It can be 120, up to 150 days but not more than that.

V: Do you prefer solo concerts or playing in a band?
SL: It depends. After many years of playing with a band, it was really nice to play solo. But after some time, you miss the band. I like to do both.

You can listen to a clip of Susanne's music here. To read the rest of the Viking interview, check out our March issue!



Amy Boxrud is editor of Viking magazine. She lives with her family in Northfield, Minn., where she’s a member of Nordmarka 1-585.

No comments: