Friday, February 25, 2011

Lifelong Learning

While scrolling through my Facebook feed yesterday, I noticed that Vesterheim Museum is promoting their upcoming Lifelong Learning classes. I checked out their website and was really impressed to see the variety of classes they're offering this year. The museum offers classes in woodworking, metalworking, fiber arts, rosemaling, writing, and traditional Norwegian cooking and baking. Want to make a wooden bowl? Or a traditional Norwegian corner cabinet, including the metal hinges? How about improving your overshot weaving technique? Or learning the style of rosemaling from Rogaland or Valdres? You can even build your own Hardanger fiddle! It's a good thing I don't live any closer to Decorah. If I did, I would want to register for all of these classes—my family would never see me!

Several of Vesterheim's upcoming woodcarving classes are taught by Professor Emeritus Harvey Refsal, who recently retired from Luther College. Check out an interview with Harley in the October 2010 issue of Viking.

Amy Boxrud is editor of Viking magazine. She lives with her family in Northfield, Minn., where she’s a member of Nordmarka 1-585.
Photo courtesy of Vesterheim Museum.

No comments: