Thursday, September 30, 2010

Food, Glorious Food

If you’ve seen the October issue of Viking, you could guess that our staff has had food on the brain. Comfort food, to be exact. As I was working on our cover feature with culinary expert Scott Givot, I was in an almost constant state of hunger, thinking about the meal we were creating: savory Lapskaus (lamb stew), accompanied by Havregrynsbrød (oatmeal bread), topped off by Tilslørte Bondepiker (“veiled farm girls”—that’s apple trifle for the rest of us).

In my search of the Web for culinary inspiration, I came across a great resource. Kari Diehl, Scandinavian food blogger for About.com, shares her favorite recipes from the Nordic countries. Check out her recent post: “10 Best Back-to-School Breakfasts.” I found some of my old favorites on the list, such as baked Finnish pancake, and some new ideas that I definitely want to try, like September porridge. God Appetitt!

Amy Boxrud is editor of Viking magazine. She lives with her family in Northfield, Minnesota, where she’s a member of Nordmarka 1-585. Amy is a Nordic folk music enthusiast, and when she’s not working or parenting, she can often be found making music with friends.

No comments: