Saturday, May 29, 2010

Darth Vader in a Bunad?

Ever have one of those days where, for one reason or another, it’s difficult to decide what to wear to the office? That was my dilemma yesterday. It was casual Friday at the Sons of Norway Home Office, so my options were more expansive than usual. In the end I picked this shirt. As most any kid who grew up in the late 70’s/80’s can relate, Star Wars is the be-all-end-all of youth culture. I wear my SW gear proudly and have no shame in showing off how nerd-core I am every chance I get.

Now I bet you are wondering what on earth this has to do with Sons of Norway or Norway in general, right?

Simple. This month marks the 30th anniversary of The Empire Strikes Back being released.

Still not connecting?

Back in May of 1980, Norway was rocketed into forefront of SW culture upon the release of Empire. You see the small town of Finse and the Hardangerjøkulen glacier played host to most of the SW cast, as the shooting location for the far-flung ice-planet, Hoth. Even 30 years later stories are still told of how nearly 18 feet of snow fell and temps plummeted to -20 F during the filming. Apparently the weather was so sever that the entire cast and crew were trapped in their hotel, at times, because the large amounts of snow falling blocked all doors and exits.

Thanks to Norway I, and many other SW geeks out there, spent many a winter day reenacting all the Hoth scenes. Whether it was pretending to be riding a Tauntaun across a snowfield, hiding from a probe droid or fighting a Wampa with a pretend lightsaber, it was the stunning landscape of Norway that fed my imagination and the imaginations of a million other kids in the 80s!

Thank you, Norway, for being the inspiration for so many great childhood memories! With that, I leave you with one last thought for the day:

What would Darth Vader have looked like in a Bunad?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.